Wednesday 16 January 2013

Is wallpaper good for catching muses?

Bedroom Wallpaper


I love wallpaper, especially scenic chinoiserie wallpaper with birds, as popular as it may be.  If it were possible, I would have wallpaper all over my house. However, in an open-concept house, wallpaper options are limited.  A bedroom is one of the only places it could go.  I think it makes a small bedroom especially cozy.
Miles Redd - In Pinterest it says under this photo:
"The image that inspired hundreds of bedroom redos across  America."
I have long loved this bedroom designed by Miles Redd. In fact, you could say it was my inspiration and responsible for me getting up the guts (and money) to put wallpaper all the way around my bedroom. I even copied his idea of matching the lamps and one other thing (in his case the stools and in my case the dresser) to the curtains.  I have yet to replace my spec house carpet with something like this chevron one.  The wallpaper almost feels like fabric draped over the bedframe.

Our bedroom walls were green for a long time. First Tealight and then Glazed Green, one of my all time favourite Benjamin Moore colours. But the room felt cold. And plain. And small.  I don't think I ever took a picture in that room before.  Now it feels warm, because the undertone of the cream background of our wallpaper is pink. It feels vibrant, and strangely enough, bigger, as though you can see right through the branches to the rose garden outside the window.  Because of the undertone of the wallpaper, I painted the ceiling a pink white, Opal by Benjamin Moore. No one notices that it is pink unless I tell them. I read somewhere that Albert Hadley used this colour or one like it on ceilings often to give rooms a glow and it works beautifully with this wallpaper, which is called Budgie in cream/green by Shand-Kydd. (Disclaimer: I don't pretend to know how to hang wallpaper or paint ceilings, but hired people who do know how to do these things.) Jane of Wall to Floor in Gibsons is an expert wallpaper craftsperson, trained in England.

This picture was taken at night with the curtains closed. It has been dark and rainy here and it is winter. However, in the summer, this is what is directly outside our window, sometimes brushing on the screen and filling the bedroom with scent:
Graham Thomas rose by David Austin, thinking it is a climber outside our bedroom window.
I like to imagine that the garden continues inside, and that we sleep in a garden even in winter.  My husband was more sceptical than I was, but he loves birds and gardens and agrees it is like a secret garden in what used to be a boring small box.

Detail of Shand-Kydd wallpaper, Budgie.
Writers have compared muses to birds before, and I like to think that I sleep surrounded by branches where muses might perch, and sing even one note to me as I awake, like the dream catchers my kids had in their rooms when they were small.  Or that I now sleep in a tight sonnet of a room, were the birds and branches are the iambic pentameter. In any case, wallpaper is more than cozy and glamorous. It is poetic.

No comments: